1-The Title of the Magazine(both the name and design)
For the title of my magazine I taken the conventions of the Magazine 'Kerrang', such as the posintioning on the page(spread across the top of the page as well as its theme and design. Like 'Kerrang' I have followed the same type of font on my title as it gives the magazine a rock-like appearance with is the dominant genre of my magazine, which adds to the theme of my magazine as a whole. Though as my magazine is not just about rock it also contains other genres such as Hip-Hop and Drum and Base so there are some features that match those genres. The name given to my Masthead has followed the convention of 'Kerrang' by having a word wich is not a real word, but a a made up word which has a ring to it and is a word that the targeted audience will remember it.
3-Costumes and Props
The items of both clothing and props in “NOYCIAM” I find are conventional, I made sure that each of the images on my front cover matched the conventions of the genres my magazine holds. The far left image of my front cover is wearing a sleeveless shirt and wearing a watch which are conventional to most hip hop images on magazines such as Vibe. The middle figure of my magazine is wearing a fashionable coat and also has an electric guitar which are both common features that most faces of rock are styled to have (especially the guitar). Also the far right is representing hip hop so he has a casual shirt on and wearing headphones which is conventional to the style of drum and base.
4-People
The People I used in my magazine are unconventional. This is because the people I got to pose as music artists are a bit young for real singers, though this is due to my limited resources in which I had to create the magazine. But they do have the look that is conventional to the genres they are meant to be representing. I have also gone against the conventions of a multi genre magazine because unlike most multi genre brands like ‘Q’ which have either one male artist and two female artists or the other way round, I have used predominantly male figures to fill the from page, though this is alright as my magazine is aimed at teenagers with a bit of bias to males from the images in the content and the way I have presented it, though from this I have followed the convention of ‘Kerrang’ by having only male artists and being presented in a male like style, but that shouldn’t effect how good the magazine is as ‘Kerrang’ being my main inspiration (see image in paragraph one.) I feel that it will attract the same type of audience ‘Kerrang’ receives as well as others like ‘Vibe’.
5-Title Font and Style
The methods I used into creating my title ‘Ian Brown and the Wolves of song’ was by going to word art and creating the title using college semi-condensed to create a kind of blunt masculine approach, this is conventional to the kind of rock star style. It is unconventional as it does not have the biggest text (second to the masthead) though it does follow conventions in the way that it is straight along the page and dominates its centre. Though I feel that it may not appeal too much to my target audience as it doesn’t hold as much visual impact as the masthead. Though I have followed ‘Kerrang’s convention of having the band highlights as the next boldest thing other than the masthead which will still grab attention. The unworn bold font of the title does hold some similarity to other magazine I have research in the earlier stages of my work
6-Written Content
The written content of my magazine does follow the conventions of most music magazines, by going over the similar themes of an interview. Like when talking to Ian Brown he is asked about how he got to where he is, what’s his favourite band (inspiration) Also well as his feelings on his experience of touring. The content may not follow the convention in terms of the way it is laid out, like most music magazines have the interview questions with the response written underneath. While mine has the theme that you’d usually expect to find in a news paper, though it does appeal to teenagers and is conventional in the way that it introduces the band first. Though it doesn’t have the editor’s letter which is unconventional.
7-Music Genre and How Your Magazine Suggests It
The main genre for my magazine is rock but with hip hop and drum and base influences, this is shown from the mixed features on display. For the masthead I’ve used a style that is typically used in rock and metal magazines and gives influence that rock is the main genre. As well as the metal like font of the sideline. The colours my magazine has shown the genre, the use of black and red which is classic rock colours, as well as the use of yellow which is a common colour used to portray hip hop. The mise-en-scene of the images also shows features of the music genres of my magazine. They give the expressions you’d expect to find the artists of those specific genres; most real music magazines do the same to show that their magazine is that genre. The bands featured along the top of my magazine front cover are all from the three genres my magazine contains. So my magazine is typically rock, though some other features show the side genres. So it is easy to point out the genres of my magazine making it conventional.
8-Layout
The layout of everything in my magazine is conventional; the main images of my magazine revolve around the centre of the page and the masthead is positioned at the top of the page. Following the conventions is also shown on my double page spread where half the page is taken up by the main image and the rest by text. The article being in columns with a quote from it as the title and quotes being placed around the page are conventions I have followed. The positioning of the barcode is conventional as most magazines have it in the bottom right hand corner. Though having the images of the contents page on the right side of the page isn’t conventional as most are on the left.
9-Contents Page
The contents page of my magazine has followed the conventions of real music magazines because of the separation of my images by gridding them apart with lines, a convention I followed from ‘Kerrang’. The order in which I set out my page references and features is following the codes of most real music magazines due to me setting them out into a straight line down one side of the page. However there is no editor’s note or signature on my contents page which from the magazines I have researched has proven my contents page in that aspect to be unconventional, despite this my contents page does follow a lot of real magazine convention which my target audience will appeal to.



No comments:
Post a Comment